Thursday, June 14, 2007

Removing Starter Earrings

Adolf Daens

exactly 100 years ago today that Adolf's father died Daens (18-12-1839/14-06-1907), a symbol of struggle nineteenth-century proletarian here in Belgium. Who saw the movie "Daens" Stijn Conninx filmed in 1992, they sure know who I'm talking about. (Which by the way is based on the novel by Louis Paul Boon published in 1971).


Daens father, contrary to the instructions of his superiors in the Catholic Church, sided with the workers in what were the beginnings of the struggle against the oppression of the proletariat, namely because of the precarious check, abusive and poorly paid working conditions in very long hours, including children, in a textile factory of his own city, Aalst, which led him to enter politics by creating the "daensismo" movement that would cause the "Christene Volkspartij" (match Christian people.)


I think it is worth making this little review and thanks to people of human qualities and capabilities Daens struggle as the father, we are where we are today in terms of worker rights, (although I fear that in many parts of the world things have not improved much).


Who has not seen the movie yet, I highly recommend it. It is worth including as a historical document.

leave an interesting link (if you can read Dutch or if you're interested to approach Aalst):
http://www.cultuurweb.be/CNETPortal/DetailOffer.aspx?id_event=49F277AC-FC32-6496-277A73BCF3876400&language=nl & , nl-NL locale =

0 comments:

Post a Comment